If you are living in a city with unpredictable weather conditions, investing in a good set of indoor trainers for your bike is a great way to continue working out even when it’s raining or snowing outside.
Especially if you are a professional biker, continuing to ride on a trainer in the deep winter months is crucial to maintain a certain level of fitness for the upcoming season. Investing in the perfect trainer is as important a decision to make as buying a fender for bikes or a bike multi tool.
Here is a list of things to consider before buying a bike trainer –
1. The quieter your trainers, the better. Wind trainers tend to be the loudest and can be problematic if you have children at home or neighbors who live close by. Trainers with fluid type resistance tend t be the quietest and also the most expensive.
2. Also take into consideration the ‘resistance’. Different trainers offer different types of resistance. For example, some allow users to manually adjust the levels while others are automated ad tend to adjust on their own as your change your own level of resistance.
3. It is important to remember to that resistance of a wind bike trainer feels very different from its magnetic or fluid counterparts. The fluid trainers tend to ‘warm-up’ after a while after which you can start feeling the difference in the resistance. On the other hand, the wind the magnetic trainers are less sensitive in this aspect.
4. Make sure you select a bike trainer from a company which offers a stable base and an easy to use clamping mechanism.
5. Items such as a bike multi tool, trainer mat, trainer tie and sweat net are more than just fashion accessories. Each one of these play a functional role in making your indoor training experience and effective and comfortable one.
Things to Consider while Training Indoors
1. Avoid riding your indoor trainer for more than 90 minutes at a stretch. If you wish to pull in more time, consider pursuing two training sessions in the day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon will suffice.
2. Finding ways to get entertained while training is a great way to keep going. Some bikers rely on loud music or watching sports or movies while training. This makes your indoor training more energetic and less boring
Finally, it is important that you keep yourself hydrated no matter what the temperature in your training area is. Fluids and electrolyte solutions are great energy boosters.